Friday, January 11, 2008

Makeup Musings....

Sometimes I feel like I'm the only one I know who's this obsessed with makeup, products... "Beauty" in general. It makes me wonder... Just how many people that I see every day are secretly as obsessed as I am? Do I brush shoulders with other addicts in the grocery store? In line at the post office? In the drive through at Taco Bell (okay, maybe not that one...)?

There's this one lady who really made me wonder. She's a cashier at SuperTarget (I freakin' *love* Super Target....) and she's just beautiful. I always go to her lane when she's there. She has perfect hair that she obviously takes her time doing, it's by no means a "wash and wear" style. She has great makeup, and it's not always the same look every time. Her nails are always perfect, very long but not trashy at all, never chipped, and I can usually name the color she's wearing, because it tends to be from the new OPI collection at the time. She's always wearing really cool jewelry, not enough to be tacky but enough to be noticed, and it always coordinates with what she's wearing. She looks like she cares about herself enough to take the time to look presentable and beautiful, and that seems to be rare around these parts.

It's rare to see someone who, to put it bluntly, looks kinda like me. I mean, not style-wise or feature-wise, but someone who looks like they enjoy beauty products and knows how to use them. When I see someone like that, it really makes me think... Maybe we have something in common. Maybe we would have a great time together... Hmmm...

Are there other people that I encounter that might share the same interests? I get a lot of compliments at the salon I go to, but then when I start to talk about the products, their eyes glaze over and you can tell they have no idea what I'm talking about.

Same with when I go to Ulta. Last time I was there, pretty much every employee that walked up to me raved about my eyeshadow, and I don't know if they were blowing sunshine up my ass or actually complimenting me.... But they asked "how did you do it?" "what did you use?" and when I tell them I get that same "I have no idea what you're talking about" look. I guess their makeup should have been an indication of interest/skill level/obsession.... But for a while I had that little glimmer of hope that I might have found someone to talk to.

By the way, never trust the "makeup artists" at Ulta. They will make you a burnt looking orange faced clown with squiggly eyeliner and brown lipstick. There have been so many times I walked past while they were applying makeup to some poor soul and telling them how fabulous it looked and really, I felt bad for them. I have heard advice given such as, "put bronzer on your entire face", "just spit in it", "you really don't need mascara", "don't moisturize before your foundation", "I just lick the brush", et cetera, et cetera, et cetera....

So, if it ever happens that I meet someone as obsessed as I am, I will be thankful. But, for now, I think I'm okay being the one who needs and intervention.

(and please don't spit in anything that you put on your face. kthx.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers