Thursday, March 19, 2009

China Glaze Bahama Blues Revisited

I have been working on re-doing a lot of my swatches lately. I'll admit it, some of my pictures are really bad! Broken nails, fingers at bizarre angles, bad lighting, lots of glare... Some of the worst photos I've ever taken were of the China Glaze Bahama Blues collection. This collection is so beautiful, it deserves to have better swatches. So, here we are, the first post in a series of past collections revisited.

In my original review, I complained loudly about the thick, stringy formula of these. My opinion of the formula hasn't changed, but I am slightly more forgiving of the bad consistency of the polishes because the colors in this collection are so awesome.

These polishes have "three free syndrome": thick yet runny, watery yet stringy, globby and weird and hard to control. This can be remedied with a few drops of Seche Restore, but I prefer not to thin polishes that are new just out of principle.

So, with the weird formula out of the way, let's have a second look at the colors. They rock.



Bahamian Escape. A bright sky blue creme. Looking back, it seems like this color got the ball rolling on the sky-blue creme trend we've been seeing lately. Super cheerful and perfect for any time of year.



Bermuda Breakaway. A rich medium blue creme. One of my favorite blue cremes. It has a similar feeling to OPI Dating A Royal, but it's darker and more opaque. It's perfect for layering and Konad designs.



Blue Island Iced Tea. A light blue with heavy glass fleck shimmer that gives the polish an almost foil-like finish. Isn't this spectacular? I'd call it a new classic. This color is unbelievably pretty and it's going to be a polish lover's favorite for a long time.



Blue Paradise. A medium blue pearl. This is in between frost, metallic and pearl and leans more to the pearl side than the metallic side but is still reflective like a metallic. Not my favorite of the collection, but not a bad polish. You have to be careful of brushstrokes with this one.


Calypso Blue. A dark, rich blue creme. It's lighter and more noticeably blue than a traditional navy blue. This is another favorite of mine. The thing I love the most about this color is that it is a very dark blue that actually looks blue and not black. Be prepared for Smurf-fingers when removing this!



Caribbean Blue. A bright nearly-neon blue with gorgeous glass-fleck shimmer. Wow. I mean, what else can I say? Just WOW. This color kicks serious ass. It's bright, it's blue, it's sparkly, what more could a blue-lover want? I just wish the formula was less of a hassle to use, otherwise I'd be wearing this all the time!

Aren't these colors just to die for? One of the best collections of all time. A great variety of blues in varying finishes and intensities. You have all your bases covered here. I have to take points off for the super-long drying time and the globby three-free formula, but otherwise I love it.

And, in my humble opinion, there's not a person out there that can't wear blue. I think blue is one of the most flattering colors for any skin tone. It just looks awesome on everyone, even a super pale girl with red lobster claw hands like me!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers