Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Kat Von D Metal Orchestra Palette and Lightning Lipgloss

If you can recall, when the Kat Von D for Sephora makeup line first came out, I was extremely skeptical about it. Sephora house brand items have never been known for their quality, but the Kat Von D line is different. The shadows are silky smooth and pigmented, the glosses have the perfect light texture and the eyeliners are unique and easy to use.

What I also like about the line is that it fits my personal taste. I'm not really a frou-frou flowery pink-feather-boa kind of girl, if you haven't figured that out by now... ;-)

Anyway, two new additions to the line are the Metal Orchestra palette and the Lightning Lipgloss.


First Class, Techno, Thrasher, Dagger, Lucifer, Glock, Razor Gray, Slayer.


First Class, Techno, Thrasher, Dagger, Lucifer, Glock, Razor Gray, Slayer.

I'll admit, I don't wear blue or grey often, but I HAD to get this palette just for the names. Thrasher? Slayer? There's an eyeshadow called GLOCK for Pete's sake, of course I had to have it!

The shadows are really nice and dense, not at all flaky or chalky. The ones in this palette are a combination of shimmers and metallics and all are super soft and smooth. Very velvety. The pigmentation is great. The only one I'm not crazy about is Lucifer- it's smooth but not very rich. It looks like a deep black but it's hard to build the color. This color has also been included in every Kat palette so far. I think they should tweak this shade a little bit, but that's just me. And, once again, this palette includes two completely useless double-ended brushes (though they would make excellent lip brushes!).

One thing that surprised me is that there's a cream shadow in this palette- Slayer. It's a super smooth and light textured cream with a heavy metallic silver finish. I think this would make a great base for the shadows in this palette, but I haven't tried it yet. Cream shadows are usually a disaster, so I'll have to see how this one turns out.

As for the lipglosses, I had already purchased Bam, but then decided to get the set instead of buying the full sizes.


HOW METAL IS THAT?!?!?! I'm in love.


Saint, Bam, Fierce Red, Gunshine, Stormy.


Saint, Bam, Fierce Red, Gunshine, Stormy.

Saint is a sheer silvery white loaded with multicolored pastel shimmer. Bam is a sheer grape with red, blue and purple shimmer. Fierce Red is not really very fierce- sheer red with shimmer. Gunshine is a sheer charcoal that leans brown and is packed with multicolored shimmer- it's like the lipgloss version of OPI My Private Jet. Stormy is a slightly less sheer purple-burgundy shade with tons of multicolored shimmer.

These all have tons of microshimmer (not glitter) in them. It is extremely reminiscent of MAC Dazzleglass, my favorite gloss ever, but not sticky and with very little pigment.

The texture of the glosses is super light and smooth. It's not oily and it's not thick, I'm not sure what to compare it to, as I don't have any other glosses this texture. It's thin and smooth and extremely sheer.

The glosses have a nice yet unidentifiable scent. Sort of a vague fruity vanilla? They smell... purple. That's all I can think of. Purple.


I really like these products. I'm really glad that someone has a line that's a little more edgy, a little less trendy and definitely more fun than the rest. It's like the Kat Von D line is making up for Urban Decay's miserable failure at being edgy. Thank you, Kat, even though I know that you wear MAC.

These are available exclusively at Sephora.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers