Sunday, June 1, 2008

Review: The She Space

A while back I ordered some pigment samples from The She Space.

I haven't really gotten a chance to use them much, but I have used them enough to form an initial opinion.

While the color selection is great and the price can't be beat, there are a few things I really don't like about these samples.

I really don't like that they come in plastic bags. I know that this is an easy and economical way to try lots of colors, but I just can't get used to it. It's difficult to get the pigment onto your brush when you have to stick it in a bag. It gets all over the side of the brush and basically just makes a big mess. It's so much easier to use samples that are in jars- like Fyrinnae and Everyday Minerals. I'd be willing to pay a little more to get them in jars.

The other thing I wasn't thrilled with was the pigmentation. They look very vibrant in the bags, but when you apply them they become washed out (as you will see in the picture below). The colors I chose were all very shimmery, which I love, but only the shimmer seemed to stick to my skin as the colors disappeared.

Also, the colors appear very different in real life than they do on the website. This is generally the case with all cosmetic companies, but I was still surprised.

A quick example of the pigmentation problem:


The samples in bags, Make Believe, Elves Rule, Lack Of Sanity and Glossy Moon.


The samples on my skin, same order as above, applied heavily over a layer of Too Faced Shadow Insurance.

You can see how they are washed out and the shimmer is really the most noticeable aspect of the pigment. This becomes a big problem when it comes to blending- they blend into nothing. I'm sure that if I really sat down and worked with these that I could make them work, but I haven't had a chance to do that yet.

I haven't tried all the colors, either, so this may just be a problem with the particular colors I used. Despite my seemingly negative review of these, I would be willing to try them again. I don't think they are a bad product at all, in fact I think they would work well for most people. It's very inexpensive to try a ton of colors to see what works for you. I really like all the colors I ordered, so maybe I'm just doing something wrong.

I'll use the rest of the samples that I ordered and give another review. In the meantime, samples from The She Space are only fifty cents and come in tons of colors. They can be purchased from The She Space's Website.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers